LIGIS has affiliated itself with the NYS GIS Association! The NYSGIS Association wishes to enhance regional participation in statewide geospatial activities by formalizing its relationships with regional organizations.
Both LIGIS and the NYSGISA pledge to assist one another in supporting collective goals and objectives as well as encouraging participation by their respective members in one another’s organization as appropriate. We strongly encourage you to join the NYSGIS Association. It is only $10 to become a member. (It is still free to become a LIGIS Member).
Professional Industry Experience Working for You
The NYS GIS Association actively seeks to benefit its membership through the following activities:
- Support development of the GIS profession throughout the state of New York
- Promote and contribute towards the development and implementation of GIS technology in the state of New York
- Foster a spirit of cooperation among local, state and federal agencies, educational institutions and the private sector in addressing priority GIS issues and data development initiatives for New York
- Host regular meetings, conferences and technical workshops to encourage for the exchange of information and to exhibit products and services
- Educate the general public about the nature of, and benefits from geospatial information and related technologies, including but not limited to, geographic and land information systems, the Internet, and global positioning technologies (GPS)
- Publish documents, produce educational materials, and promote education pertaining to geographic information and related technologies
There are currently 25 NYS GIS Association members on the Executive Board and Standing Committees of the NYS GIS Association working hard to deliver results for the members. These professionals come with varied work backgrounds in federal, state, county and municipal government; private industry; non-profit organizations; and higher education. This group of professionals has a diverse background spanning planning, transportation, mapping, database analysis, programming and surveying and an average of 20 years of experience in the Geospatial industry…that is over 4 centuries of combined Geospatial experience! These volunteers put in an average of about 80 hours annually (each!) which equates to 2000 hours per year. Just think about that for a minute, if you were to estimate the cost of these professionals for their time, the NYS GIS Association is receiving the equivalent of $100,000 worth of professional services to support the goals of its membership!
Professional Development Opportunities
In 2013 the NYS GIS Association put on 12 training classes and/or professional webinars. The value of attending just 3 of these sessions (given a value of $95 each) equates to $285 benefit per member. Those are some cheap CEUs!!!
Additional Membership Benefits
- A professional organization that works to promote your interests
- Networking opportunities
- Help staying up to date on state of the art practice
- CEUs accepted by GISCI & ASPRS
- At least 6 Presidents’ chats
- Advocacy to increase the number of GIS positions
- Legislative initiatives to protect and promote GIS
- Resume posting and job opportunities